To Press Releases listDec 13, 2016
Less sugar, fat and sodium, on-pack portion guidance and education programs: it’s all part of Nestlé New Zealand’s commitment to helping to improve the health of New Zealand children.
Announced today in line with the government’s Healthy Kids Industry Pledge, the Nestlé commitments take a holistic look at Nestlé’s products, packaging, marketing and community programs.
Nestlé New Zealand CEO Veronique Cremades said that childhood obesity not only affects our children today, but their future opportunity for healthy adult lives, and that building a healthier future would require a whole-community approach.
“Nestlé has already made considerable progress, but we are committed to continuing to improve,” Ms Cremades said.
“We have already reformulated many Uncle Tobys and Nestlé breakfast cereals, significantly reduced the sodium in Maggi breakfast cereals, and provided pictorial portion guidance on many packs,” she said.
“As well, our Healthy Active Kids program has is making curriculum-aligned materials available to help primary school teachers teach about good nutrition, physical activity and healthy hydration.”
Nestlé has committed to:
- Build knowledge leadership in children’s nutrition
- Provide nutritionally sound products designed for children
- Help reduce the risk of undernutrition through micronutrient fortification
- Reduce sodium in our products
- Reduce sugar in our products
- Reduce saturated fats and remove trans fats in our products
- Encourage consumption of wholegrains and vegetables
- Deliver nutrition information and advice on all our labels
- Provide portion guidance for consumers
- Promote healthy diets and lifestyles, including physical activity
- Promote healthy hydration as part of healthy lifestyles
- Provide education programmes for good nutrition and feeding practices
- Ensure responsible marketing communication to children
Details on Nestlé’s commitments in New Zealand and progress to date can be found at https://www.nestle.co.nz/csv/nutrition/Supporting-a-Healthy-Future.
The Ministry of Health Healthy Kids Industry Pledge can be found at http://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/obesity/childhood-obesity-plan/healthy-kids-industry-pledge
Released by Nestlé New Zealand
For further information: Margaret Stuart, +61 412 893 080